Friday 8 January 2021

Dear Aunt Sally - Anniversary Anxieties

 Dear Aunt Sally

I know that you usually give advice on matters of the heart. My problem is also in the nature of a romance gone horribly wrong. 


It does involve very large numbers of people (nothing to do with swingers or orgies) but I'm sure it's not that different from the relationship problems that land on your desk. 

You see, I inherited a large organization that was once the people's sweetheart. I fear that I have grasped the deadliest of poisoned chalices. It was all sweetness and light at the outset. Wine, roses and sunshine. We made the vows that lovers make under a smiling sun. But infidelity has long been the curse of our institution. Many of our people have turned from tenderness to tenders. The affairs have ranged from gross to abominable. There is not a vow left unbroken. Worse still, they are, as the poet put it:

..not expecting pardon, 
Hardened in heart anew..

I have not slept through the night for weeks. The cruellest irony is that we have a large anniversary celebration coming up. I have been unable to get beyond the first line of the speech I'm expected to give.

Dear Aunt Sally, what, oh what, do I say after 'Dear Fellow South Africans'?

Yours in the mother of struggles.

Anonymous
 

No comments:

Post a Comment