Sunday 5 June 2022

His Master's Voice

 Dear SABC


I have a wonderful idea for a logo to go with your 'Fearless' campaign. Remember the RCA logo, a cute little dog, head cocked, listening to a wind-up gramaphone. The inspirational slogan was 'His Master's Voice'. You could call the dog 'Fearless'.

You really are fearless. It takes real courage and an absence of skaam cells to fly so boldly and gallantly in the face of South African reality. A sort of Icarus of the media. Watch the feathers, though.

I wondered if I was being inordinately suspicious and cynical about your 'news'.  (Being of a sensitive, tender- hearted disposition). Perhaps even paranoid. Then, yet again, you treated us to a rambling piece about the Party's internal politics, worthy of a Pulitzer for Irrelevance and Insignificance. It was a brain-numbing ten minutes or so. A gentleman, who would be well advised to stick to, or find, a day job, warbled on self-indulgently for what seemed like an eternity. SABC, you didn't get the memo. We Don't Care.

I am sure that somewhere in Limpopo, someone was sighing contentedly. The rest of us prefer real news. Your guided tours through the belly of the well-fed beast are anything but.

I think the gabbling gentleman's name was 'Soviet'. In the moment that I dozed off, I thought that was the title of the news item.

I've heard of a bubble that protects sports people from infection. You seem to have found your own bubble. A cozy cocoon of Party titbits, mediocre soccer, Tiktok videos and other light snack offerings. You are in little danger of being infected by the dangerous realities of lying, savagery, buffoonery and corruption that make up present day South Africa. 

I'm not sure though, that it's right or accurate to call your offerings 'news'.

Yours in the fearless quest for news.

Richard



Tips for the blogger gratefully accepted 

Capitec Bank, South Africa  
1378565477
O Tichmann 
+27 833970723


2 comments:

  1. 😂🤣... worthy of a Pulitzer for Irrelevance and Insignificance... OUCH!!!! Thank you for reminding me again why I rather watch Al Jazeera where journalism still matters and reporters speak the English I learned at home and in school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I feel for young people who grow up on SA TV news.

    ReplyDelete