Tuesday 22 June 2021

Pushing Garbage

 Are advertisers dumb? Or do they, like many politicians, assume that we are dumb? The garbage from both parties seems to come from the same kitchen.


Still, fun to ponder on if you need an escape from the ANC / EFF / Whats Their Name reality show (the one that makes the Kardashians look like intellectual giants).

If we go by the ads, most of South Africa's problems can be solved by certain brands of bread, booze and over - the - counter pharmaceuticals. Still, I'm willing to give it a shot. I'll bring some loaves to the next EFF or MKMVA march. And some KFC.
 
'Do you own your skin?', asks one ad. I thought I did, until the question came up. At least on a three score and ten year lease. Is this also covered by Expropriation Without Compensation? Apparently my skin determines how courageous and loving I am. And here I was thinking I might be lacking in moral fibre. It's just a skin problem. Slap on some lotion and bingo! Please send crates to all South African politicians and civil servants.

 "Have you ever been turned down for a funeral?" read one on Facebook. 

Well, that's a bit difficult to answer. I haven't had need of one - yet. It's going to be harder to answer when I do need one. I don't think it will be my problem anyway.

How about some gritty, relevant ads that reflect our reality.

Here's an example:

Camera lingers on Fred, enjoying a sundowner on his porch, lovingly stroking the shiny, metallic surface of his new acquisition. Voice over:

'Are you afraid that your ten foot electrified fence and pack of Dobermans won't keep you safe? Fear no more. The Gatling 20M will shred everything within a hundred square metres."
 
"I used to fear the Gauteng sunsets." Fred smiles. "No more."

Fires a practice burst.

 "Cheers."

Now that's a realistic advertisement.

No comments:

Post a Comment