Friday 25 June 2021

Fleas

 Dear Mr Gigaba 


A news report quoted you as follows:

“I knew Mr Ajay and there are many people that we all know, and many get involved in wrongdoing and knowing a person doesn’t make you complicit in their wrongdoing if they are involved in wrongdoing.”

This strikes a powerful chord with me. An innocent friendship I had was twisted into something ugly. May I share.

I drove some friends to a bank in a powerful, supercharged vehicle. I was delighted to see them comply with health regulations as they pulled on balaclavas and masks. If they had weapons I didn't see them. It was a dangerous neighbourhood anyway.

They returned with bags stuffed with cash. Surely this is normal practice for business people making a withdrawal. I heard of a similar method of carrying cash, used by some powerful people in South Africa. Just can't recall the details.

I did see some of the staff lying on the floor while my friends were inside. I assumed that this was one of those new-fangled business things - power naps or Being Present

As we departed, the police came rushing by, sirens blaring. It was near closing time, but I think the siren thing may be abuse of state equipment.

Ludicrous stories about my involvement in a bank robbery circulated later. Hurtful and bewildering. So easy to be caught in a web of suspicion and speculation. Sir, I empathise.

It is not necessarily true that if one lies down with dogs, one wakes with fleas. Sometimes one wakes with ticks, er,  sorry, that's not where I was going. I'm sure you catch my drift anyway.

Yours in the struggle against cynicism.

Richard 



Tips for the blogger gratefully accepted 

Capitec Bank, South Africa  
1378565477
O Tichmann 
+27 833970723








No comments:

Post a Comment