Thursday 17 December 2020

Shots Fired, Mr Cele?

Dear Fellow South Africans 

 This morning I was again jolted out of my post-Reconciliation Day torpor. An SABC newsreader reported on Mr Cele's response to a shooting at a beach in Cape Town. My first thought: Good old Mr Cele; first on the scene, like Spider-Man (which I watched yesterday). Actually, it was a shoot, not a shooting.

 I should have realised by now that the SABC takes the Alice in Wonderland approach to words and their meaning. When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less No surprises there. It fits in with the Alice in Wonderland theme, faithfully adhered to by the ANC, assorted politicians and other South African movers and shakers.

 So what if it was cameras instead of guns? That's how these things start. I'm sure Jeffrey Dahmer started out playing with plastic knives. Had Mr Cele been there, what carnage could have been prevented. The next thing you know, it'll be Uzis and AKs on the beaches. Thank goodness for Mr Cele.

 I hope the criminals are taking note of the speedy, proactive policing championed by Mr Cele. He'll probably pop up at hijackings, robberies and other incidents in similar style. It's just a matter of priorities. 

One has to watch the movie and advertising people. Such stories one hears about their excesses. Let the other criminals not be lulled into complacency. Your turn will surely come. 

 Yours in the struggle for safe beaches.

 Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment