Sunday 20 December 2020

That's What Friends Are For, Mr Zuma

Dear Mr Zuma 

 You really shouldn't have walked out of the Zondo Commission sitting the way you did. Who knows what damage it's done to your friendship with the judge. 

 It's not easy to make friends with judges. At my last court appearance, all my friendly overtures were ignored. Talk about a one-track mind. The man was only interested in the boring details of the case. Friendly enquiries about the family, fishing, his views on the effects of tea on drivers' reflexes; these were churlishly brushed aside. That's why sir, I believe you should cleave to the good judge as Jonathan clove to David. Particularly during this season of goodwill and other stuff. 

 I am sure that there were many pleasant memories that you could have inserted into the conversation. I don't know if the friendship went as far back as playing judges and persons of interest. It was an opportunity to, as Yeats put it: 'Mix pictures of the mind Recall that table and the talk of youth..' Sir, you could have given room to your musical talent and kicked off with a variation on 'That's What Friends Are For' 

 And I never thought we'd meet this way 
And as far as I'm concerned I'm glad I got the chance to say 
That I do believe we're buddies 
And if I should ever go astray 
Well then, close your eyes and try To see the way we were before
 And then if you can remember Keep smilin', keep judging 
Knowin' you can always count on me for more
 That's what friends are for
 Come courtrooms, commissions
 I'll be on your side forevermore That's what friends are for

 Brilliant way to kick off a session, sir. Beats the hell out of the usual, stiff formality - which doesn't encourage frank, forthright, friendly exchanges anyway.

 Yours in the struggle to preserve friendships. 

 Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment