Monday 23 August 2021

Bean There, Done That, Mr Zuma

 Dear Mr Zuma

I am powerfully moved by your righteous anger and indignation at 'the law being used to target' you. 

I can relate. I was once targeted for doing a mere thirty kilometres above the arbitrary speed limit. What kind of law does not bend to accommodate me..., pardon,  I mean emergencies and special circumstances? For example, the imminent closing of my local KFC. 

Sir, it seems you are on the verge of spilling some long-promised beans. So moved was I that I had to borrow from the Langston Hughes poem, with a minor alteration or two. Apologies to the Hughes family, friends and poetry lovers.

What happens to beans deferred?
Do they dry up like biltong in the sun?
Or fester like a sore and then run?
Maybe they just sag
Like a heavy load
Or do they explode?

I suspect that we may be at the 'explode' stage. We all know what happens with bean-initiated explosions; the sound, the fury, the stench. 

Many South Africans may relate to the original, about a dream deferred. That's not the point. This is about you. After all, which came first: democracy or the ANC?

Sir, I am completely in tune with your implied 'what about others?' argument. During my last court appearance, I pointed out that Al Capone had done far worse. I also once referred my creditors to the national debt, and, for emphasis, the US national debt. To no avail. 'The law is a ass', said one learned gentleman. A soulless ass, some may add.

Sir, let us, like twin Samsons, grasp the pillars and bring the whole edifice down. With our beans.

Yours in the struggle for justice to be done, seen, heard and felt (and smelled?).

Richard 




Tips for the blogger gratefully accepted 

Capitec Bank, South Africa  
1378565477
O Tichmann 
+27 833970723





No comments:

Post a Comment