Sunday 8 August 2021

Subtle Rugby Racism

 Dear Fellow South Africans 


Stop.

Before you have another sip of Castle in celebration of the Springbok victory over the British Lions. 

We, in the Movement, are not easily moved by such things. Here's a deep, suitably sombre analysis of what really happened. I am sure that the CIC will issue a succinct, lucid, profound statement in due course. While you wait hungrily for the pearls of wisdom, here's my R200 rands worth (inflation). I speak as a staunch supporter of dialectical materialism and superior logic.

First, not one player of Indian descent was in the Springbok squad. I did not actually watch the match but I have friends in Phoenix who did. 

Second, the black players did all the hard work, as usual. Poor Cheslin Kolbe ran himself into a state of exhaustion. A brilliant try is scored. What happens then? A white guy steps up to put the boot in. The classic apartheid approach.

I could go on about the venue. We have a perfectly good ground in my area. We'd just need to move some stones. This would have enabled many of my comrades to attend the match. They don't like rugby but it's all about the principle.

I could also talk about the percentage of black players in the Lions squad. I will take that one up with the British embassy at a future march.

Do not be fooled. The racism is exquisitely subtle. But find it we will.

Yours in the struggle to leave no pebble unturned.

Richard 

No comments:

Post a Comment