Friday 6 August 2021

The Thin White Line

 Dear Max du Preez

You referred to tomorrow's clash of the rugby titans as 'just a sports event'. 

Wiping foam from my mouth, I was moved to re-publish this post on a similarly historic clash of days gone by (during the rule of one, Jayzed).

Read, repent and be wise.


The Thin White Line

Saturday, October 28th, 2017

Dear Mr President

In this eleventh hour I write to you to assure you that all loyal supporters stand firmly united, Castles and other ceremonial beverages in hand. I refer, of course to Sharks supporters.

As a keen student of history, steeped in the wisdom of Machiavelli, Vladimir Putin and other luminaries, you are not unaware of the import of today’s clash of the rugby titans. Apart from the east vs west symbolism (haven’t quite worked it out yet but I’m sure it will come to me in a dream), there are deep undercurrents here that could profoundly affect your future.

You yourself said that the DA is probably kept in power by witches and ghosts (words to that effect). Mr President, that’s Halloween. The truth is simpler. We have all seen Invictus, bar the few philistines who fail to appreciate the balletic grace of the game and its startling parallells to life’s struggles and triumphs. Who has not felt unfairly yellow - carded by life’s capricious whistle blower? Have you not been midriff- tackled with the try line beckoning and watched the wretched ball fly uselessly into touch? Mr President, those cunning west coast folk have been using the team in blue to unite the people behind them. Do you not see that only a Sharks victory today will pierce the grapeskin curtain?

Master tactician that you are, I am sure that you despatched  Ms Faith Mutambi to deliver a stirring ‘in this hour of great peril’ speech. I trust that suitably attired and accessoried supporters will be bussed in in large numbers to intimi.., sorry, show support. I am confident that a commission of inquiry stands ready to parachute into action, should the unthinkable happen. Then, Mr President, I am content and shall enjoy my KFC flavoured biltong with peace of mind.

I look forward to seeing you at the match, where we can forget the vexing business of politics for a while. Perhaps discuss the relative merits of vodka and mampoer.

Yours in the quest for a sporting victory.

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment