Sunday 6 February 2022

Somewhere In Time

Dear TV News People


I've just had the fright of my life. 

The first shock came when the TV news anchor greeted me with 'Good Afternoon' before ten a.m.  I checked every clock in the house. A reporter told me that Justice Mlambo was being interviewed that very minute. The hairs on the back of my neck and in my ears stood. I know that those interviews are done and dusted. 

Worse was to come. A broadly smiling sports reporter gave an update on the women's ODI cricket match. I swear that I saw the conclusion of that match. Next came the weather for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. On Sunday? I was pretty sure that I had gone to bed on Saturday night. I cannot describe the fear that struck my rapidly beating heart. I know that our country has been going backward for many years. Not that it was so bad and so literal.

Fortunately, someone explained that it was recorded news. Guys, that's about as useful and interesting as driving, in reverse, to a deserted rugby stadium a week after the match to capture the moments.

We know that there is no news on weekends. Villains and newsmakers take a well-earned breather. 

We've already seen:

The merciless massacre of the English language by some of your reporters.
News as pallid and bloodless as a vampire's latest victim. 
An obsession with funeral services.
And much more that seems to symbolize the state of your news service. No need to add composted news.


Perhaps you don't have the budget for weekend news? Well guys, this nonsensical approach doesn't do anything for you  - or us. Do something sensible with what you have. As Hamlet advised the players: "O, reform it altogether."

Yours in the struggle for real news.

Richard



Tips for the blogger gratefully accepted 

Capitec Bank, South Africa  
1378565477
O Tichmann 
+27 833970723










No comments:

Post a Comment