Thursday 10 November 2022

The Struggle For Honest Business Practices Continues

 This disturbing report from Pretoria News;:


"Driving school owners protest against traffic officials increasing bribes from R1700 to R2000".

I am dismayed. That's a fifteen percent hike!  Bread, eggs, petrol, now bribes. How can anyone make an honest living under these conditions?

We know that the war in the Ukraine has affected prices everywhere but this is ridiculous. A five percent hike, one might understand. I'm not saying that I would approve. I'm against price hikes on principle. What value add would I, the driving school owner, receive for the five percent increase? Faster processing of licenses? A working card machine?

I suspected that horrific price increases were in the offing. A friend told me that, on his commutes, the going rate has always been one KFC drumstick. Now they are demanding two. Sometimes a wing as well. He refused to elaborate on who "they" were.  

I find this to be scandalous profiteering. I appeal to the president to intervene. Perhaps Mr Fixit, negotiator par excellence, could assist. A commission of inquiry would be a logical starting point. The usual factors should be considered: area pay rates, labour market conditions, collective bargaining, government legislation and cost of living. Let us adopt our usual rational, lawful approach -  alles in ordnung, like the Germans.   

Mediation could follow. Arbitration if necessary. A body should be set up to regulate the movement of, er, facilitation fees. 

I am all for free market principles but consumers also need to be protected. Public Protector, please take note - when other pressing matters allow. 

Yours in the struggle for fair, honest business practices.


Richard




Tips for the blogger gratefully accepted 

Capitec Bank, South Africa  
1378565477
O Tichmann 
+27 833970723




No comments:

Post a Comment