Tuesday 20 October 2020

Crime In Black And White

Dear Mr Masina

 Are these really your words or has your account been hacked by a raving lunatic? Or someone on Durban Poison?

 "Blacks people must unite, these arrests are targeting abt black professionals and black business. We need to stand up and be counted. Some Whites have been stealing with impunity and they not arrested. It’s now or never." 

 When I had finished laughing, I succumbed to the irresistible urge to pen this letter to you. A friend had his first SASSA payout stolen before he could draw it. He too, saw the side-splitting humour in this tweet. Sir, what I understand is: 

 1. We should support suspects because they are black 

 2. There ought to be proportional representation of white suspects, a sort of BEE approach (more like WEE).

 I am sure that my friend will bear his misfortune with greater fortitude if it turns out that the fraudsters were, in the main, black. Of course, if there is appropriate white representation as well, I should think he will be giddy with joy.

 How do you suggest we show our support? I am quite willing to carry any number of those convicted shoulder high to the prison of choice. One doesn't want to quarrel with custom and tradition. Of course, weight limits need to be taken into account.

 Sir, I plan also to be mugged only by white muggers. I am planning my work and shopping routes accordingly. Over and above these patriotic efforts, I'm happy to forward your list (soon forthcoming, I'm sure) of white suspects to the relevant authorities. That, with a request that they be detained by black officers. I hope that helps.

 It's now or never, says the message. The latter seems more likely but we live in hope.

 Not only are you active in the struggle for proportional suspect representation but I see that you are planning to showcase service delivery. As any good City Of Ekhuruleni mayor should. Please include the magical, mystery bus service. We had such fun guessing and betting on whether buses would show up towards the end of last year. It kept us entertained for weeks. 

 Yours in the struggle for proportional representation.

 Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment