Wednesday 19 May 2021

ANC's 'A Wrinkle In Time'

 'Parliament did not have the time, resources or capacity to investigate the early “noise” and “rumours” about the coordinated and wholesale looting of South Africa’s public coffers, Baleka Mbete told the state capture commission on Monday night.'

So says a Mail and Guardian report.

Ms Mbete, fully conscious that the WMC press exists solely to embarrass the Party, I wish to put things in perspective. I too, have not had the time, resources or capacity to do several thing. I've heard noises and rumours about tax season but.... The other day my neighbour was being tortured by home invaders. I was fully occupied with watching a parliamentary debate on open SABC TV. It was about the meaning of the word 'fokol'. A crucial concept in present - day South Africa. To forestall howls of outrage, let me point out that I did take action. I swiftly turned up the sound, as the screams were beginning to distract me from my civic duty. At any rate, Mr Cele, like the gallant World War II forces, is on the beach. 

People do not understand that there are larger issues. As long as William Nicol Drive remains William Nicol Drive, we will flounder in post - colonial economic misery. Already one can see the benefits of renaming Port Elizabeth Gqeberha. After all, who had heard of Port Elizabeth before? I'm sure that the town is now teeming with Japanese tourists, lured thence by the exotic name. Schoolchildren all over South Africa are probably, even now, browsing through Wikipedia for meaning, pronunciation and etymology. The march of progress continues.

Ms Mbete, you continue the good work that you did in the memorable Al Jazeera interview. That had me shaking with uncontrollable mir.., pardon, admiration. You handled such profound issues as when a swimming pool is not a swimming pool with great aplomb. 

Unkind folk sing the 'see no evil, hear no evil' song (I forget what the third one is). I understand that the demanding responsibility of directing difficult parliamentarians to take their seats is as onerous as rearranging deck chairs on a rapidly sinking ocean liner.

Yours in the struggle for perspective.

Richard




No comments:

Post a Comment