Sunday 23 May 2021

Voting With Feet

 Dear Ms Mazibuko


Like many other South Africans, I too, was outraged on viewing the chicken feet video. It showed the kind of poor judgement of which the Party has so often been guilty. Chicken necks would have been a better choice. More meat. Value for money. 

Nevertheless, I commend you for your support of the local economy. 

“ It is known that wherever I go, I buy food in the community to support the local economy. Fat [cakes] are my favourite. But I decided to apologise because there were things said [on the video] that may not sit well with people."

I myself run a fatcake stall. Please let me know when you'll be campaigning in the area. I'll ensure a plentiful supply as you are big on support. Please bring more than R30. The fatcakes are made with eleven secret herbs and spices. A tribute to the other national dish so favoured by the Party.

I have heard of people voting with their feet. Campaigning with chicken feet is a new one. The Party has always been creative. I suppose we can chalk this up as another good story. Then there's the symbolism. In some countries (details to follow), chicken feet are a symbol for hard work: scratching in the dirt, scrabbling around.....

I do hope that you shared the chicken feet in the community. I would guess that you did have other chicken parts waiting back home. A good, wholesome meal after a hard day's campaigning. I trust that the voters were as impressed as I am. 

As for apologizing, whatever for? Honesty in campaigning is refreshing. As rare as an admission at the Zondo Commission. As uncommon as a well-run municipality. Do keep it up. Bon appetit.

One hopes the voters will follow your fine example: vote with their feet.

Yours in the struggle for meaty, transparent election campaigns.

Richard 

No comments:

Post a Comment