Friday 17 December 2021

Zuma, Giant

Dear Fellow South Africans 


"You must be delusional", a Zuma supporter kindly advised me.

I thought I'd better check, as I have been troubled of late by strange, probably unnatural, thoughts about the rule of law, the constitution, commonsense. Things no South African in his right mind should be troubled about.

I looked back. Mr Zuma once faced 783 charges but those were dropped. They've shrunk, I think, to a mere 16. Not so bad, then. 

He came in as what The Mail And Guardian called 'a compromised  candidate'. The People knew better. He has since danced his way into and out of the presidency, scandal, various courtrooms and prison.

But let's not forget his support for business. The Sunday Times  quoted him as assuring business people that everything they touched would multiply if they supported the ANC. A business champion who could show King Midas a thing or two.

I had forgotten his sage warnings to those contemplating leaving the ANC that they would attract the wrath of the ancestors. And also, bad luck. You don't want to do that. You'd be better off smashing mirrors. 

I have to acknowledge his skills at root cause analysis. 

Jan van Riebeeck's arrival in Cape Town was the beginning of all South Africa's problems.

Damn you Jan: corruption, incompetence, crime, buffoonery - the list goes on. Bloody agent. You should have drowned on the voyage over. Well, at least, we know the root cause. 

Renaissance man that he is, his latest tell-some book flew off the car boot - like hot cakes. I hope he expanded on the revelatory doctrine that the ANC is 'blessed in heaven' and that its voters will be blessed on 'earth and in heaven'. Theology made simple. I wondered why the blessings have been scarce in the last decade or so. It's clear now.

And, of course, the man's a staunch defender of the constitution. 

"We are a constitutional democracy. We must deal with things properly within the framework of the law and then the constitution."

So, the constitutional court's finding had me puzzled:

"The President thus failed to uphold, defend and respect the Constitution as the supreme law of the land."

As did this interesting statement from the great man:

You have fewer rights because you are a minority. Absolutely, that’s how democracy works.

Nevertheless, Mr Zuma supporter, I see the error of my deluded ways. The scales have fallen from my eyes. 

I can but quote the pope in the movie, who said of Francis of Assisi: 
"This man is a giant."

Yours in the struggle for clear sight and commonsense.

Richard 

Tips for the blogger gratefully accepted 

Capitec Bank, South Africa  
1378565477
O Tichmann 
+27 833970723


No comments:

Post a Comment