Saturday 6 January 2024

Delusions and Hallucinations

The input that I get from assorted learned people on X gives me great hope for South Africa. 

The sparkling repartee, the cool,  thoughtful comment -  I grow with each encounter.  A gentleman once suggested that I f&%k myself.  Intriguing though the proposal was from a perspective of scientific enquiry, I declined. My counter-proposal was that he perform the action on himself, as he was unlikely to experience any other intimacy, given his quaint attitude  and limited communication skills.

Someone kindly advised me that I was delusional, after I quoted some of Mr Zuma's more interesting utterances. I carefully noted that for discussion with my analyst at our next session. Now I could have sworn that Mr Zuma did indeed make those utterances. But I suppose that's the nature of delusion. Who knows where it may lead? 

Admittedly, some.. sorry, many,  of the utterances and delightful shenanigans of Mr Zuma and  comrades are so bizarre that they may well be the product of severe delusion. 

More recently I was advised that I am hallucinating. This followed some comment on some of Malema's  intriguing statements and actions. Now to go from delusion to hallucination has to be a serious matter. I suppose that I ought to be concerned.

I noted that input as well and brought forward my meeting with my analyst Dr von Schollenhofen von Eltern unter den TannenbĂ men. We will have, I imagine, much to discuss and I am grateful to the aforementioned Twitterati  for their concern for my mental and emotional health. And for their diagnoses. It's difficult in South Africa and one can use all the help one gets. They have also  saved me a few thousand rands in psychoanalysis.  Like Blanche in A Streetcar Named Desire,  I have come to rely on the kindness of strangers. 

Of course, these exchanges do lead one down a rabbit warren of Alice-like proportions (she of Wonderland). Could it be that these exchanges on X were themselves but the offspring of delusion and hallucination. If I responded with 'gaan krap in die mielies', would the phantoms of my fevered imagination respond? How would I know where reality ends and fantasy begins? Or vice-versa? 

What if Mr Zuma and Mr Malema are themselves but the stuff of delusion and hallucination joined in unholy matrimony?  Their surreal adventures suggest such a possibility. A book on their exploits would be rejected out of hand by any publisher worthy of the name. Also by readers. Even if nestled between Star Trek and the Harry Potter books. What would destroy suspension of disbelief would be the notion that people in South Africa actually took them seriously.



Tips for the blogger gratefully accepted 

Tymebank , South Africa  
51090259373
O Tichmann 
+27 833970723

No comments:

Post a Comment