Tuesday 15 September 2020

Confidence

One of my strengths is being confidently wrong. 

 I almost blew an examination paper once. I'd prepared infinitely better than most of our politicians prepare for their deadly dull speeches. A couple of beers seemed a good idea. For nutritional value. And brain food (ever seen a dumb German?). Looking over a fellow-student's shoulder, I noticed that he was cramming for the next paper. Two students later, I had the sinking feeling that they'd switched the schedule. Well, not really. I'd goofed. A minute of blind panic can stretch to an eternity of contemplating a blank answer sheet. I got Einstein right there. 

 A frustrated schoolmate once answered all the history questions in unique fashion. Who discovered America? Peter Green - his own name. First governor at the Cape? Peter Green. So it went. I can identify with the deep well of frustration there. There was probably an outside chance of one answer being correct.

 Padded up, watching my team mates fall at a social cricket match, I thought: 'Aha, this is simple. Just slog the ball into the great blue yonder'. I proceeded to do just that. But a sudden gust of wind swung my first ball onto the stumps. At least that's what I explained to the pigheaded umpire. He showed me the finger.

 I made the following statements with supreme confidence: 

 Zuma will never be president. 

Trump will never be president. 

Malema will never........ 

I'll make my fortune from writing.

 Nothing wrong with a bit of confidence. Is there?

No comments:

Post a Comment