Thursday 3 September 2020

Oliver's Travels: The Land Of Saafrica

After our shipwreck upon the coast of storms, the land of the Saafricans proved to be physic for body and soul.

 The people treated us with every kindness, pressing upon us drink, victuals and a green tobacco, most calming to the senses. Their language closely approximated ours but for some few words peculiar to the region. I was soon able to pronounce the traditional, respectful greeting 'Howzit', followed by the customary response 'Hectic'. Thus enabled, it was no difficult matter to initiate conversations with the inhabitants of this beauteous and friendly land. I did remark, however, upon numbers of people who seemed to carry marks of misery upon their faces. I also encountered numerous visages clouded with what appeared to be smouldering anger. I resolved to discuss this with my host at an opportune time. 

 Desirous, as ever, of learning of their ways of government, I was delighted when my host proposed a journey to the House Of Parliament. We travelled in a fast conveyance, the driver frequently hailing other travellers with a cheerful 'Footsack'. My host explained in brief the way of government, named 'demockracy'. The people chose persons of good character and ability to serve them. I was much taken with the idea. I have observed, in the lands in which I have journeyed that the nobility rule often according to whim.

 My first impression of the servants of the people was that they were sleek, well dressed and travelled in conveyances with every appearance of wealth and luxury. These were, I supposed, honours and comforts bestowed by a grateful populace. The Speaker of the House appeared to be a personage of authority and power. I was somewhat perplexed that his duties, in the main, appeared to be beseeching members to sit or leave the house. 

Dear reader, I will not presume to pass judgement upon the customs of a land in which I am a guest. While fully cognizant that the honourable members wrestled with important matters of state, I was alarmed when, in a heated moment, they began to wrestle with one another. My host was unmoved.

 Much of the business seemed to revolve around the meaning of various words. One debate was centred around a word hitherto unknown to me. 'Fockall' is my best approximation. This must have had great significance for the well-being of the populace, for passions were clearly aroused. I trust that the outcome will be sufficient quantities of 'fockall' for the populace. My good host will doubtless enlighten me. 

 Thus ended my second day in the land of Saafrica. Dear reader, I shall be at pains to report all that I observe in this most intriguing of lands.

No comments:

Post a Comment