Tuesday 30 June 2020

The Big Picture

Dear Ms Zille

You once queried how Dr Ace gifted one of his security people a very expensive Pierneef, then called it an honest mistake when the auctioneers asked questions.

Madam, mistakes happen. I once almost gave away a Constable, mistaking it for something that my nephew had done at school. The fact that his surname, Coetzee, so closely resembles that of the painter added to the confusion. It's not outside the realms of possibility that similar confusion caused the Pierneef error. I also once drove off in a Porsche which was parked next to my People's Car. The sort of mistake anyone can make. Same country of manufacture, similar sleek lines. I was a little distracted at the time. That brings me to my next point.

Dr Ace is a philosopher with an honorary degree from a Turkish university. The Turks have excellent coffee, cigarettes and Turkish Delight. I have also briefly viewed two dubbed Turkish soapies, Doodsondes and Bittersoet. The acting, while not quite Anthony Hopkins, was passable. This gives me the confidence that their universities are of an equally high standard.  It is quite possible, nay likely, that Dr Ace was preoccupied with questions  of  a cosmic nature at the time, for example:

Which came first: the chicken, the egg, the ANC, democracy, all of the above?

If a picture falls in a gallery and no-one sees it, did it really fall?

Does art imitate life or vice-versa?

Madam, is it any wonder that something as mundane as a painting worth a few million might slip through the cosmic cracks?

Now that I have, with complete objectively, painted the big picture, I do hope that it provides some perspective.

Yours in the love of art, philosophy and all things Turkish.

Richard


Tips for the blogger gratefully accepted 

Capitec Bank, South Africa  
1378565477
O Tichmann 
+27 833970723



No comments:

Post a Comment