Wednesday 8 July 2020

Nightmare On Fir Avenue, Germiston

Dear Mr Mboweni

We have something in common. I read that you have fiscal nightmares. I, too, have fiscal nightmares.

Just last night I dreamt that I was facing a firing squad of mashonisas and bank managers. Their AK47s had full clips. I waited desperately for a last minute reprieve in the form of a call from VBS. A call came. It was Bill Clinton, wanting to know if my last request included a good cigar. He had a Cohiba left over from a staff meeting of long ago. I woke with the thunderous crashing of gunfire echoing in my head. To my consternation, it continued. It turned out to be my neighbour, practising for the weekend. No problem there, after a change of clothes.

Sir, you once said that we are standing at a crossroads.  That's because we've run out of fuel. But all is not lost, sir. There's plenty of fat of the land for your beleaguered treasury. Just follow the paper trail to the black marketers who now owe a fortune in taxes. May I refer you to the movie 'The Untouchables' for some guidelines. I'm sure that our politicians and assorted civil sevants also stand ready to make sacrifices in these terrible, difficult times. How much fat lies hidden in those perks that make no sense when the land lies waste. I would suggest slashing those tons of blubber with a really good flensing knife. KFC will survive.

I did suggest a national stokvel some time ago. You ignored my suggestion and, no doubt, now regret it. I am still willing to contribute an extra R10 per month to my already burdensome taxes. I should think that economies of scale and compound interest would make the thing workable. I leave the details to you, sir. I expect to be among the first paid out (my idea).

Mr Mboweni, without swift action, your last resort may be those alternative economists who advertise the services of short boys and rats. Who knows? They may well have the answers, unorthodox as their financial instruments and practices are. After all, we cannot unmake this mess with the same thinking that got us into it, can we?

Yours in the struggle for fiscal fluidity.

Richard



Tips for the blogger gratefully accepted 

Capitec Bank, South Africa  
1378565477
O Tichmann 
+27 833970723

No comments:

Post a Comment