Saturday 18 July 2020

Shining Moments


Dear Fellow South Africans 

It seems to be the done thing to publicize one's achievements on social media. Being the shy, retiring type, I've refrained so far. But I believe the hour has now come (I've been queuing for an hour at a cig..., sorry, at Shoprite). 

Just last week I experienced one of my proudest moments. The East Rand Mashonisas Association (ERMA) presented me with the Borrower Of The Year award. This took the  form of an artistically framed IOU certificate. Talk about moving...

I also acquired a PHD certificate. It was a difficult journey. There was sacrifice, hardship and other stuff. I did not shrink from paying the high price this endeavour demanded. Eventually I found the academic  shop I sought in a Germiston side - street. R500 later, I'm humbled and proud to be in the company of such worthies as Dr Ace (honorary PHD in philosophy).

I was also granted an interview by the Primrose Post, a fine community newspaper. My views on the role of social media as a tool of the Enemy Of Mankind were hotly debated in Joe's Bar, a popular gathering place for East Rand intellectuals. 

There was the Neighbour Of The Year Award from Lawrence and Koos on either side of me. Also the Writer Of The Week award from a friend whose keen intellect I value and respect. He is writing the definitive book on Elvis sightings in the Northern Cape. 

Yours in the quest for shining moments.

Richard 

No comments:

Post a Comment