Sunday 19 July 2020

Happy Returns

Dear SARS

I salute you with the traditional two-fingered salute of my people - the people burdened by taxes that seem to perpetually feed an enormous, black hole.

I'm sure that you are all very nice people. Under different circumstances we might have been firm friends. After all, even my best friends and closest family aren't as free with my wallet and pay cheque as you are. I've worked for you all my life and cannot even include that on my CV. 

Every time I think of you, the tears come to my eyes. Oops, that's a line from a song. I meant I'm reminded of the words of David, whenever I think of you. Not Cameron, the psalmist-king:


whither shall I flee from thy presence?
 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea
......
thy right hand shall hold me.
 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me....

Are you not treading on the sovereign territory of the Almighty? Incidentally, i don't think the part about heaven applies. Perhaps the other place.

You will soon once more bend your unwavering gaze on my tax return. I'm confident that your superb information- gathering systems will also sweep up the fortunes made on black market cigarettes and alcohol. I can assure you that those taxes will build many more hospitals, schools and houses. Isn't it just a matter of following the paper or cyber trails, as they do in the movies and books? I should think the same methods will apply to dodgy tenderpreneurs and the colourful assortment of food parcel and other thieves we breed in such profusion.

Many happy returns.

Richard 







No comments:

Post a Comment