Monday 25 May 2020

Attack Of The Clones

Attack Of The Clones
Monday, July 31st, 2017
Dear Ms Davids
I wholly empathise with you. There you were, innocently enjoying a well - deserved holiday in Dubai, paid for with your own hard - earned cash. Now mischievous third force elements are making all sorts of wild insinuations. The fact that certain ministers were also present at your five-star hotel has been made much of by these cynical opportunists. I was once on holiday in Windhoek at the same time as Angelina Jolie. It does not follow that there is anything between us (apart from a long-standing platonic friendship). Personally, I prefer Thandi Newton and our own Pearl Thusi.
I believe that I am on the verge of uncovering a heinous conspiracy and want to assure you that the whole truth will soon be as widely known as the Saxonworld shebeen
In the quiet, leafy, upmarket suburb of Primrose, I have observed people emerge from certain residences, glazed of eye and dazed of demeanour, many of them sniffing as if the earth’s atmosphere were strange and new to them. Friends tell me that this behaviour is typical of drug users. I believe that the truth is infinitely more sinister. Why have so many politicians and public figures been accused of having been at places or at meetings that they deny, with a bewildered innocence that has me convinced, cynical though I am? I am convinced that I have stumbled upon a cloning factory, cunningly set up by those masters of manipulation. What else would explain the other Kim Davids at your hotel, allegedly paid for by someone else and observed to have hobnobbed with the Saxonworld family.
I was inspired to pen a short story. An excerpt for your enjoyment:
“Kim stifled a luxurious yawn as she made her way past the reception desk to the restaurant for breakfast. She idly glanced at the register in passing, then frowned in puzzlement. There, right next to her and the minister’s names was..she blinked several times - another Kim Davids. She had hardly had time to ponder what this meant when the lift doors opened and an elegantly dressed, attractive lady glided out. Ice formed around Kim’s heart. She could have been looking into a mirror, but for the glazed look in the eyes of the other. She clutched at the reception desk for support, her hand fluttering to her throat..”
My detective agency will gladly take on the task of excavating and exposing the truth. For a small consideration.
There, Ms Davids. I’m sure you feel better already.
Yours in the uncovering of knavish conspiracies.
Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment