Wednesday 20 May 2020

The Sound Of Music

The Sound Of Music
Sunday, April 2nd, 2017
Dear Number One
I know that I wrote to you only yesterday, but I am afraid that events are rushing forward with the speed of a blue light convoy.
What has prompted me to write again is a troubled dream that I had last night in which several mysterious figures surrounded you,  chanting in a foreign language a word that sounded similar to recant or something. You may be able to make something of this.
Every great leader should have a praise song in his honour. I fear that the praise singers, as talented as they undoubtedly are, have not fully captured the scope of your epic journey. My friends and I were planning to release a song soon but I fear that we may be running out of time. With apologies to John Dunne and T S Eliot:
Had we but world enough and time
We would with greater skill and care massage this rhyme
But always at my back I hear
Time’s winged chariot hurrying near
And the echo of ‘recall’ from mouth to ear.
I would therefore like to give you a little foretaste of what we have composed in your honour, lest you retire to the ministry before we can launch this musical tribute to you. The first part of the song is in rap,as we know that you are a man of the times - just a verse or two to whet your appetite:
Me and my friend Mandla
We went down to Nkandla
Hoping to chill with Zuma
But all he said was ‘Phuma.
Said we want to chill with the Guptas
Won’t you introduce them to us?
We know you are the prime number
But all he said was ‘Hamba’
The second part is sung to the tune of  ‘Guitar Man’ by Bread and here are a few lines:
Who draws the crowd and sings so loud?
Baby it’s the Nkandla man …
The chorus:
Eskom’s lights begin to flicker
And the future’s looking dim
The rand begins to falter
The economy is grim
But he doesn’t seem to notice
He’s just got to find another game to play
I hope that these humble snippets edify and inspire you.
My friends and I are willing to perform the whole song for you and your select (perhaps shrinking ) group of friends. Mr Gigaba, Mr Molefe and Ms Mutambi, among others, may want to accompany us on a new musical instrument we have invented and called the echo organ.
I look forward to our musical evening, am free most weekends and await your call.
Yours in the love of inspirational music.
Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment